Thursday, December 14, 2017

"I am happy"


Today, as I was walking around planning my day, I felt the strongest urge to quote those words out loud. I soon noticed my children joining in. As I began quoting these words, my middle daughter said "Mom, I was just thinking those words five minutes ago!" Which is one major coincidence when you consider that it's been years since she saw me saying it in the mirror. Before I tell you this affirmation, I need to tell you how I learned it. I was in a school assembly back in junior high school, when a 90 year old minister came on stage. He was a kind looking man with soulful black eyes and skin. He carried himself with such quiet confidence and dignity. When he told us his age, we were agahst! The man didn't look a day over sixty, and that would have been the absolute highest age I could have believed without my jaw dropping. I could have believed he was fifty, easily. He was alert, and his posture was perfect. His doctor had told him that he was in perfect health, and asked him how he did it. He related to his doctor that every morning, he looked in the mirror and told himself this, outloud: I am happy. I am healthy. I ammmmmmm successful (he said this part with an urban groove)/ Today is the best day of my life. Tomorrow will be even better. I Can.