Saturday, March 19, 2011

what grieves my heart.

I love marketing.  I find it fascinating.  Ever since I figured out how to "log on" 8 years ago.
Sure that I would get rich and change the world, I set my nose to the grind stone.
I was going to figure this thing out! I was going to crack the marketing code!

I pored over every scrap of free (albeit disconnected) info I could find, and set to work putting the pieces together.

What a shock! As the pattern emerged, I found that virtually EVERY SINGLE christian show was geared toward a sell.  These guys are all marketers ,  I realized.

READERS, PLEASE, UNDERSTAND....JESUS CHRIST IS REAL AND HIS ANOINTING IS AVAILABLE WITHOUT COST.  YOU CAN'T BUY A MIRACLE.

MY NET WORTH IS THE BLOOD OF JESUS.  THE GOD WHO GAVE HIS ONLY SON WILL NOT WITHOLD MY DAILY NEEDS.

I don't serve a mafia god.  If you listen to some t.v. evangelists, you may believe that God will break your legs, kill your children, and cause you to get a terminal illness if you don't "tithe".

But what did the New testament givers give? The book of Acts says that they held all things in common, (Acts 4:33) and that none of them lacked. They even brought it all to the feet of the apostles (how many preachers would you feel comfortable doing that with?) The Bible says there was no lack among them, because they all shared.  How many leaders give everything they have?

There is greed in the pulpit.


It sickens me to think of how many times a pastor has manipulated, guilt-tripped, and bullied the congregants into giving.  I'd go in with one dollar, wanting to give it all.  I'd leave giving nothing. Why? I felt like the pastor had just pulled me up by the collar and demanded a dime.

Forget that.

the Bible says, "Let every man give as he purposeth in his heart.  Not grudgingly, or of necessity, for God loveth a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7